Friday, August 30, 2013

Unexpected gifts from hubby... a pressure canner and a dehydrator!

I am so excited to use my new toys.  My old pressure canner, dehydrator and all my canning supplies which had been accumulated over years were lost in what we refer to as "the fire" (left behind with first husband).

The new canner is the same brand I had 30 years ago.  A 23 qt. Presto with pressure gauge. 

In the last couple of weeks I have been doing water bath canning using my biggest stock pot, it holds 8 pints.  Or freezing what couldn't be preserved in a water bath. 

Today I have 7 pounds of tomatoes to put up (not really enough for all the work involved) so I am adding 3 pints of frozen tomato/meat sauce to it hoping to get 6 or 7 pints of prepared pasta sauce.

It's peach and blueberry season here, so tomorrow I plan to go to the orchards and get at least a 1/2 bushel of peaches and about 5 lbs. of blueberries.  It is also time to check on the status of the wild grapes.  They are perfect for making grape jam.

The new dehydrator delivery is expected for Tuesday (9/6/13).  It will be great to have that appliance again to make some meals in a jar/pouch.  I love these for road trips when all that is needed is to add water to the pouch to get a home cooked meal.

I have been watching Linda's Pantry (225sage on YouTube) and she has what seems to be some great recipes for dehydrated meals, as well as canned meals.  Now I can test them.... can't wait!

Well, the sauce is ready, the jars are ready, the canner is heating up..... time to fill those jars.  :)

By the way.... follow this link if you are in need of canning recipes or the latest canning time charts.
http://nchfp.uga.edu

.Happy Canning!

No comments: