Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Potato Plants are Growing and so are the chicks...

This is the first time I have planted potatoes so I don't really know what to expect.  I have been covering the plants with soil as they grow, but how long do I do this?  I planted them in a trench about 8 inches deep and covered the sprouts; as they have been growing I have continued to cover the growth with more soil.  It is now beginning to hill up, but I don't know how long I should continue this process.

Meanwhile, the summer squash I planted last week have sprouted; the onions and garlic are looking good, there is no sign of the carrots yet, but they take such a long time.  Tomorrow I plan to transplant the tomatoes into the garden.  Sometime this week I hope to start the corn and the green beans.

We are in the process of buying a small farm, 10+ acres, down in NC, so this will be an extremely busy summer between taking care of my little backyard farm, packing up the house to sell and also preparing the new homestead for us to move into before summer's end.  I honestly don't know how I will get this all done in such a short time.

Our little chicks are growing quickly.  They don't seem to be quite as smart, or friendly, as our hens.  The chicks are Leghorns and White Rocks.  The hens are RI Reds, Easter Eggers, and Black Sex Links, and one speckled black and white hen, who is so friendly and so smart, and I cannot remember her breed.


No comments: