Sunday, March 17, 2013

THE CHICKS HAVE BEEN ORDERED!

I am so excited!  My little chicks have been ordered and the delivery date is May 3, I can't wait. There are so many things to do in order to have my backyard farm ready for the season. 

Our little chicken family will consist of Rhode Island Reds, Black Sex Link and Ameraucana's.  My youngest grandsons have already begun planning on names for the girls.  The boys each want to name one of the hens after themselves.  They are so excited that the older boys already started asking permission to sleepover on the day the chicks arrive.  :)

Nick is busy researching building plans for hen houses and runs. We have one month to built it. 

Today, even though it is still a bit cold outdoors, we are clearing out the fallen branches from the winters wind storms; and raking up the other debris.

This morning I sorted through my seeds and prepared the identity markers for them.  Once it warms a bit (out of the 30's)  we will be going into the woods to dig compost from beneath the trees.   Nick knows where he can get free pallets and will bring a few home to build our compost bins this week.

One of the goals of backyard homesteading is to do or get as much as possible for little or no cost.  Nick was fortunate to get several 4'x10' pallets made with solid plywood sheets on one side.  There are enough to build my garden shed!  FREE!  My daughter and son-in-law were re-doing a part of their kitchen and had several plywood cabinets to remove.  They are now in our garage and will be going into the garden/potting shed.  FREE!
The composted material from the woods.  FREE!

I will post photos as work progresses and there is something you may like to see.  In the meantime
it is time to start fixing dinner and plug in this computer to recharge.  :)

No comments: