Thursday, April 11, 2013

Free Compost! UPDATE!

Free Compost!

That's right. Free compost.

I love walking in the woods.  I had always noticed the rich soil beneath the layer of dried leaves.  The
rich, brown soil was nature made compost.  These days whenever I drive through the countryside I take notice of the wooded areas.  Avoiding piney woods as that compost may be too acid for my vegetable garden.  I look for lots of maple and oak trees where there is a good cover of dried leaves. 
Keeping a few containers in the back of my car, and a shovel, makes it handy for those drives during
which I see an area that looks just right.  As much as possible stay off private property.  There is usually plenty of compost in that area along the side of the roads.  I seriously doubt anyone would complain about you taking a bucket of compost from the woods.

Since it takes so long to create your own compost, this method gives your compost bins a boost when
starting out.

I found a place with beautiful composted material about a foot deep, maybe a bit more and will be returning there on Saturday with my shovel and 5-gallon buckets. 

Expect an update on the collection this weekend.


Thanks for stopping by.

UPDATE:

We dug up lots of beautiful compost last weekend, enough to get a good start in the garden.  Since we don't own a truck we put extra-large totes in the back of our suv. 

No comments: