Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Chicks Arrive Tomorrow! UPDATE 05/03

Oh I can hardly wait, the babies arrive tomorrow.  Our youngest grandsons are so excited they keep reminding their mom about it and begging her to let them do a sleep over at Grandma's.  The four boys are under the age of 7 and love visiting the little "farm". 

This weekend is going to be so busy, the chicks arrive tomorrow, Grandpa is leaving on Saturday for a business trip, and the 7 year old is making his first communion on Sunday which will be followed by a day long celebration with family, friends and food.  Poor Nick, he will be in Orlando, FL working.

The seedlings have been remaining out overnight in the garden.  It looks like the tomatoes have been attacked by the moth that drops is eggs on the tomato leaves and then feeds off them, etc.  I have been removing any leaves I notice with that damage hoping to stop the problem before the worms get inside the main stem and get a head start on the fruit.  Off course, at this point it is just speculation, I am still researching other avenues to explain and correct the problem. Please leave a comment if any of you have any thoughts and/or suggestions about the problem.  Your input will be appreciated.

The squash and pepper seedling are ready to be transplanted, and the peas are about 1/2" tall.  There is no sign of the lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots or swiss chard yet.

Nick bought two beautiful Boomerang Lilac bushes for my birthday.  I have been wanting lilac bushes since we bought this home 9 years ago and never got around to it since there have been so many other priorities.  The plants are called boomerang because as long as they continue to be dead-headed, they will continue to flower from spring through summer!


UPDATE  MAY 3;

I just called the farm & feed store where I ordered my chicks and the informed me that my babies won't be arriving until May 22!   Looks like we won't be getting any eggs until Oct/Nov.

No comments: