Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Birds not bugs are eating my plants....UPDATE 05/20/2013

For the past couple of weeks,  since the transplants were set in the garden, something has been quietly attacking them.  At first I considered cutworms but the tomato plants were being nipped at the tops not the lower stem.  I covered the bed with plastic and that was the end of that.   Next I would holes dug into the soil and decided the birds were hunting bugs for their babies.   The next attack was on the squash and I noticed a leaf missing here and there.  That did it for me.

Time to stand guard.   A bird had made a nest at the corner of the garage roof overlooking the garden and I watched as she swooped down on the squash and nipped off another leaf.  I also observed her plucking a pea plant out of the soil!   Luckily I happen to have a few very large pieces of light-weight non-woven material that would be perfect to act as a blanket over the raised beds and fend off the marauder.  I covered all the plants with a blanket and so far it's working.

Do you have any suggestions or know of ways to keep the birds from raiding  the garden? 

Next project ....  a scarecrow ?

UPDATE 05/20/2013

The scarecrow helped, but barely, after a day or two that miserable bird got the idea.  Also tried a pinwheel in the bed but the bird seemed to enjoy it.

Latest resort:  this morning I covered both tomato and squash bed hoops with bird netting.  Now,
let's see that bird get through that.

That being finished (I hope) I need to deal with the squirrel who has started digging into the beds looking for the food he stashed away last fall and I got rid of long ago.

As they say, "if it's not one thing, it's another".

Happy Gardening!   :)

No comments: