Sunday, September 15, 2013

How did your tomato crop turn out?

I wondering if anyone else had a lousy tomato crop this summer.... 

Mine started out great but quickly went bad, like many other gardeners around here.  I don't know if it was the crazy weather we had or if they developed something organic like a fungus or blight.

The first tomato that ripened weighed over a pound, and there were many that size.  However, it went bad even before it had a chance to completely ripen.  I did manage to harvest about 15 pounds, but much more than that went bad.  The last basket of tomatoes I harvested wasn't quite ripe but I brought them indoors to finish ripening with some green ones.  Within two days they all went from being beautiful to being rotten overnight (and still half green).

Several people I spoke with around here had a similar issue with their tomatoes, and I am curious if any of you had a bad crop too and your thoughts on what caused it.

We had crazy weather, a cold, wet spring changing overnight to the dog days of August (in June/July) and autumn weather in August.  Right now it feels like October.

I look forward to your feedback.

Happy Gardening!

No comments: