Sunday, March 8, 2015

Planning the Garden


 I am working on this year's garden plan and am thinking about planting the corn in this manner, instead of the usual long rows.   My raised beds are 4' x 10', I figure I can put 10-12 rings in a bed.  That's between 80-100 corn stalks.  I may do a test and plant both this way, and the usual long rows and see which does better.

Another must try: a potato tower (also found on Pinterest)

  Last season I planted potatoes in the garden for the first time.  They used up a lot of precious space, and didn't produce very well.  Not a person to quickly give up, if ever, I have been looking for a resolution and perhaps a better way of growing the root crop.                                                Among the many interesting ideas, a tower, in forms, seems to be used most.  The potatoes produce heavy crops, are cleaner and much easier to harvest.  Not to mention the most important efficient use of minimal garden space.
  Carrots!  I love carrots, especially when mashed and 
 combined with mashed turnip and served with butter, salt and pepper. ..mmmmm

Each season I plant carrots.  Each season I somehow manage to harvest only a handful of these sweet, wonderful veggies.  I have tried planting in loose soil with good moisture; and have also tried planting in rich garden soil; and in mostly compost.  I even tried planting them in regular dirt.                               
Nothing has produced more than just a pitiful handful of short carrots, not much thicker than my finger.  
I found this article on the 3Squaremeals blog for growing carrots in containers.  Looks like this will be my next attempt at raising a crop ample enough for my family.

 




No comments: